Denim Douche: Call Me Crazy, But I’m Starting to Think Lady GaGa is Using a Euphemism For Sex

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Call Me Crazy, But I’m Starting to Think Lady GaGa is Using a Euphemism For Sex

Lately, I’ve been harboring a strange notion when I hear a certain little rousing electronic pop number on the radio. I know it’s hard to believe, but I can’t shake the feeling that Lady GaGa is dabbling in innuendo when she says that she wants to “take a ride on your disco stick.” Crazy, I know…but bear with me.

Now, you and I both know that there’s virtually no history of sexual euphemism in popular music, but I can’t escape the idea that this Lady GaGa character is not really talking about a disco stick. And it’s not even simply because there’s no such thing as a disco stick; but disco dancing doesn’t seem to fit with the song’s theme of frisky sexuality. Why would GaGa want to mount a fictional object pertaining to the 1970s dance craze in the middle of arousal?

So I’m thinking that either the song is poorly written or there’s something else going on here…she’s talking about sex. Just think about it…a disco stick, if it existed, would have lots of penis-like qualities. It would be long and phallic, just like an erect man. And she doesn’t simply say she wants to ride ANY disco stick…she wants to ride YOURS.

Subtle as this clever turn of phrase may be, a discerning mind such as my own sees something lying beneath the surface. Ah, the dexterity of the English language! It never ceases to amaze me the things we can “say,” without really saying anything.

Yet, if she’s saying what I THINK she’s saying, it’s certainly inappropriate. What ever happened to good, clean tunes like “Cherry Pie,” by Warrant? An innocent song about a classic American dessert; That’ll never go out of style, trust me. How about “Turning Japanese?” A playful number poking fun at the impossibility of changing races. Poignant and playful. They don’t make songs like they used to, that’s for sure!

GaGa is wading in dangerous waters…she could be starting a dangerous precedent. Before we know it, everyone could be throwing euphemisms in their music.

HA! Wouldn’t that be something?

Next order of business: what’s the deal with that “If You Seek Amy” song? Who’s Amy?

No comments: