Denim Douche: What a pile of bovine excrement!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What a pile of bovine excrement!

I'm no stranger to ranting about political correctness. What a stupid, brain-numbing, world-pussifying waste of time. Of course, for the most part, our beloved first amendment reigns supreme, but oh boy, will you ever open a can of worms if you go so far as to refer to somebody as "fat" or "black."

Why is it that the politically correct form of a term is always about 200% longer?

Fat->Overweight
Black->African-American
Gay->Homosexual
Straight->Heterosexual
Retarded->Developmentally Disabled


What's the point in wasting all those extra syllables on PC terms when everyone knows what I mean when I use the shorter one? I only have so many breaths in this life, I don't want to waste them spewing out the likes of "Italian-American."

The problem is stigma. Wrap your head around this: back in the day, "retarded" wasn't an insult. It's just what they called retarded people. An accepted, legitimate word. At some point, it became stigmatized, and then it became totally insulting. Boo-fucking-hoo. The word itself is no different than back when it was socially accepted. The meaning should be no different. Besides, the people for whom the word was coined aren't going to know the difference. It's only stuck-up, uptight white people from California who get offended with this bullshit.

Also, say you're looking for a friend of a friend, who happens to be black, in a big crowd...one that you've never met. Ask what they look like and watch your friend dance around the fact like hell. "Oh, he's about 6 feet tall, pretty built, umm... dark eyes?" Do people think it's insulting to say that someone is black? I sure as hell am not insulted to be referred to as "white." In fact, if someone called me "Caucasian," I might just beat them in the face.

The PC term is African-American, but it's bullshit. That's not what it means. It means black. You'll see Hatians and dozens of other ethnicities lumped into that category in error, while white South Africans are not. Because it doesn't mean African-American. I feel like less than .5% of the population cares about this stupid term discrepancy, and the rest of us have to deal with its mind-numbing idiocy on a daily basis.

I guess I'm pretty much running out of steam in regards to my hatred for this obnoxious convention, but I hope I've touched you all. Don't waste your syllables. Say what you mean.

No comments: